What are the manufacturing methods for timing belt pulley and gear blanks?
Manufacturing methods for pulley blanks
Blanks are usually manufactured in two ways, forging or casting. Forging, in turn, has two methods, free forging and die forging.
1. Free Forging: This method is most commonly used for the production of high variety, low quantity products.
2. Die Forgine: This method is used for the production of large-sized timing pulleys and gears from cast iron blanks.
Manufacturing processes of blanks
Shaft gear blank machining process
- Step one: Milling both ends
- Step two: Drilling two center holes
- Step three: Fine-turning shaft neck, external circle face, internal circle face and two end faces.
- Step four: Grinding the shaft neck and locating the ends.
Common pulley and gear blank machining process
- Step one: Turning end faces, boring bores respectively by rough machining and finish machining in two steps.
- Step two: Turning faces, boring bores, roughing and finishing in one-time clamping.
- Step three Bore driling, end face turning and external circular process
According to the production Qty, equipment conditions and precision requirements, the machining process can be flexibly change and different machining methods, such as: broching, shaping, turning,grinding,etc, can be freely choose by engineers.